Updated August 3, 2023
Risk Services supports the UC Irvine campus mission reaching out to the community to engage middle & high school students, minors (under age 18, in CA law) to plan and conduct safe programs.
Risk Services currently consults with:
- All campus schools & departments.
- The UC Irvine Campus Youth Council.
- UC Irvine Registered Student Organizations via Student Life & Leadership.
- UC Irvine Event Services - working with third-party off-campus programs with minors being hosted at the UCI campus.
- Assist in the early planning stages of programs & events with minors, to reduce the risk of liabilities.
- Assist in drafting and collection of electronic UC waivers of liability for parents/legal guardians of minors to sign - obtaining legal informed consent.
- Consults with departments providing best practices advice re. the safety of minor for in-person OR on-line ZOOM call programs.
- Provides collaborative advice to campus schools & departments with Praesidium Inc. the UC’s professional advisor for the safe implementation of minors programs.
- Discusses personal liability and liability insurance option considerations with UC Irvine Registered Student Organizations.
- Provides up-to-date best practices advice re. ADA compliance issues and shares campus resources.
- Provides awareness of the importance of CANRA reporting responsibilities for all programs run with minors, per California law.